On 03-12-2010 11:35:14 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> to better communicate USE_PYTHON we could use:
>
>  - a portage news entry

why portage?

>  - notifications from within ebuilds
>
>  - a users guide counterpart of
>    http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/Python/developersguide.xml
>
>  - mentioning in 'man make.conf'

why? make.conf is for "custom settings for Portage".  Python ebuilds
should solve this, preferably matching the slots of python being
installed.

> This is overdue and has some urgency.
>

> Are you volunteering to get this going?
>
> Feel free to derive from <http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=972>.
>
> As it involves a GLEP and GuideXML maybe that's perfect for involving
> people being recruited at the moment.

Why a GLEP?  The only thing you can do just now, is to make USE_PYTHON
default to something people would expect, and to be properly documented,
such that it turns up in search result somewhere at the top.  (Last time
I needed it, I couldn't find it any more.)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level