On 01/21/11 23:15, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 03:47:03PM -0600, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>> Sweet, we actually got an invitation to bikeshed! Here's my contributions:
>>
>> gentoo-tree.git
>> gentoo-portage-tree.git
>> portage-tree.git
>>   (the name 'portage' derives from bsd ports, so it makes sense to keep
>>    that connection to make it recognizable to that audience)
> Please note that I said _location_.
> I'm not so happy about putting them in in the toplevel namespace.

I see.  If the long-term goal is too have multiple packages trees, than
maybe

  tree/main.git

or

  tree/core.git

would make sense and go well with "proj/", as that is not plural either:
no "projs/", no "trees/".  It could make

  tree/core.git
  tree/science.git
  tree/games.git
  tree/...

some day.

> You need to provide TWO names:
> 1. The current tree that we will start with.
> 2. The read-only graftable tree with full history (going back to the
>    start of Gentoo commits).

Any of these suffixes for the other one would work for me:
* "past"
* "before"
* "old"
* "history"

"historical" is fine, just a bit long, maybe without need to.

> As much as I like the original "Portage tree", I do agree it's lead to
> confusing of the source code of the package manager vs. the ebuild tree.

Great to hear that you share this worry.

Best,

Sebastian