On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:50:35 +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
<snip>
Pushing files that are still available somewhere else, but cannot be
directly fetched for whatever reason is still to be bone
through /space/distfiles-local.

This, above, is an important point for the below comment.

*PLEASE NOTE:* This is to be considered QA policy, so we're going to ask soon to enforce this. This requirement, though, _will_ be superseded as soon as Infra provides us with a proper archive for this kind of files.

I wonder how the QA team is going to enforce this? I can't think of any heuristics to distinguish between mirror://gentoo/<self-produced distfile> and mirror://gentoo/<upstream distfile not self-produced> - One way this can happen is dead upstream but useful application. Yes, we have GENTOO_MIRRORS but I've seen it often enough that GENTOO_MIRRORS value is invalid (user error) and SRC_URI is invalid which leads to a non-ideal user experience - at which point $dev normally changes SRC_URI to mirror://gentoo/.

Care to touch on that topic? Note: An acceptable answer to me would be "update documentation and use common sense" because I don't think there is any other option. At risk of being too wordy, I'll leave it at that.

Thanks,
Jeremy