On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>> > * The key must have an userid that refers to an official Gentoo e-mail
>> > address. E.g. dilfri...@gentoo.org
>>
>> no.  there's no reason for this requirement, and it prevents proxy
>> maintenance long term.  e-mail addresses do not verify identity,
>> verifying identify verifies identity.  this is the point of the web of
>> trust.
>
> So what sort of identity do you want to verify? Seriously, at the moment when
> I got my commit bit, noone from Gentoo had ever met me in person, and for
> sure noone had ever had a look at my passport or any similar legal document.
> The only established connection was my preexisting gpg key, which was then
> coupled to my gentoo account.

and no where do we require you to generate a gpg key bound to the
Gentoo e-mail address.  we require you to provide a gpg key only.
like you said *right here*, we have 0 information to identify you, and
using a Gentoo e-mail address adds *nothing* to that.  so why add a
completely useless requirement ?

> As for proxy maintenance, isn't the whole point of that that the proxied
> maintainers are not devs and do not have (commit access | a gentoo.org user
> id)? I do not understand how this would prevent proxy maintenance.

uhh, you already pointed out how -- git.  if i pull updates from a
proxy maintainer, it's going to have his signing.
-mike