Il giorno mar, 05/04/2011 alle 17.45 +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." ha
scritto:
> First, I'm just wondering whether making the browser RDEPEND on some
> fonts would be a correct solution. Maybe, similarly to the icon
> themes,
> we should just suggest some fonts in pkg_postinst.

As Ulrich said, Chromium should not depend on the fonts at all. They use
different methods of rendering fonts, but both do their work with
finding the right font to use if one is installed. In general, one
should be expected to have the right fonts installed for the right
language to display.

Also, I think singling out CJK here might be a bit inappropriate; while
they are probably the most commonly known languages using non-latin
scripts, they are definitely not the sole ones. Just take a look at the
Wikipedia homepage[1] to see how many non-latin languages are there (and
keep in mind that it's a subset of the world's languages).

For what it's worth, in my screenshot there are four languages missing
glyphs entirely, and a few having glitches, all of this with this
selection of fonts:

media-fonts/aquafont-2.7-r4
media-fonts/aquapfont-2.6-r2
media-fonts/arphicfonts-0.2.20080216.1
media-fonts/corefonts-1-r5
media-fonts/dejavu-2.33
media-fonts/droid-113-r1
media-fonts/encodings-1.0.4
media-fonts/font-util-1.2.0
media-fonts/freefont-ttf-20100919
media-fonts/fs-fonts-0.1_alpha3
media-fonts/ipamonafont-1.0.8
media-fonts/ja-ipafonts-003.02-r1
media-fonts/lohit-fonts-2.4.2
media-fonts/mikachan-font-otf-9.1-r1
media-fonts/monafont-2.90-r2
media-fonts/mplus-outline-fonts-0_pre037
media-fonts/sazanami-20040629
media-fonts/thaifonts-scalable-0.4.13
media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9

[Yes I have a personal preference to CJ fonts myself..]

[1] http://www.flameeyes.eu/tmp/wikipedia.png

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/