On 06/13/2011 08:58 PM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> Judging from [1], a couple of thousands of ebuilds DEPEND on
> sys-apps/sed, which is a system package (in profiles/base/packages)
> since at least 2004. It boils down to some 2535 ebuilds, 1409 packages
> and 14 eclasses, some requiring a version as high as 4.0.5, which went
> stable in 2003.
>
> What do you say. Do we keep them or prune them from the tree?

It's worth noting that stage1 and stage2 tarballs do not contain full
system sets. Therefore, we can't assume that sys-apps/sed will be
included in those stages unless we use something other than the system
set to pull it into the stage1. A couple of possible a solutions are:

A) Modify $PORTDIR/scripts/bootstrap.sh to ensure that sed is installed
in stage1.

B) Keep a sys-apps/sed dependency in the sys-apps/portage ebuilds, so
that bootstrap.sh will pull sed into stage1 as a dependency of
sys-apps/portage.

--
Thanks,
Zac