On 28 June 2011 04:44, Graham Murray <gra...@gmurray.org.uk> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> The fix for that is to slot things properly. You're screwed anyway if a
>> preserved library tries to access installed data that has either been
>> removed or upgraded to a new format that it doesn't recognise.
>
> Or some "awkward" packages which when rebuilt will still link against
> the preserved library, but if the preserved library is deleted and the
> package manually rebuild will link against the new one.

Reminds me of the other awkward behaviour I once hit where a package
depends on something that is slotted, and mysteriously uses a middle
version of the things that are slotted, and then breaks with that
version that it for some mysterious reason found a preference for, and
upon removing that particular version of the slot, it uses the most
recent slotted version instead, and then works perfectly.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"