On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 16:46 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:14:22 -0400
> Olivier Crête <tes...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > And you also underestimate the amount of momentum that Lennart has
> > managed to amass behind systemd. I expect that much sooner than you
> > think, we won't have a choice but to switch to systemd as many core
> > components will start depending on it.
>
> Ah, are we talking about the "GNOME Operating System" here? If so, I'd
> rather see Gentoo drop Gnome than force everyone to switch to using
> DistributionKit...

When I became a Gentoo developer, 8 years ago, Gentoo had the most
advanced init system of any distribution. It still works exactly the
same, openrc being just a mostly pointless effort to re-do the same
thing in C. systemd is where the innovation is today and we, Gentoo,
should get on board or be left behind. And GNOME is indeed in the
driving seat for much of the innovation in system components these days,
because as Gnome developers, we fix the system components instead of
working around their bugs.

--
Olivier Crête
tes...@gentoo.org