On 09:39 Wed 27 Jul     , Michał Górny wrote:
> As many of us already raged, the Python eclasses are delaying half a
> year with support of EAPI=4. The reason for that is not actually the
> lack of time or complexity of needed changes but willingness to use
> the new EAPI as an excuse to turn the eclass API upside down.
>
> The question I'm raising here: should eclasses be actually allowed to
> do *heavy* changes in their APIs in such cases? Or should the eclass
> maintainers create a new eclass instead (python-r1.eclass or so)?

Eclasses still shouldn't break backwards compatibility — that hasn't
changed in the past 5 years, despite what a very small minority of devs
appears to think. This has been a huge PITA for python.eclass in
particular, which has broken tons of my ebuilds for no particular
reason. (And no, a 30-day warning is not an excuse for breaking
anything.)

If you need to edit an eclass for EAPI/API changes anyway, updating the
inherit line to "python-2" instead of "python" isn't a big deal.

In the general sense, I think changing the API in arbitrary ways based
on the EAPI in use is just plain confusing, and it should go into a new
version-bumped eclass instead.

--
Thanks,
Donnie