Am 17.08.2011 18:45, schrieb Thomas Kahle:
> Hi,
>
> I'm forking from a thread on gentoo-project:
>
> On 17:26 Wed 17 Aug 2011, Markos Chandras wrote:
>> Personally, I want to shrink portage. There is no way for 250 listed
>> developers ( I would be glad if 100 of us were really active ) to
>> maintain thousands of ebuilds.

[...]
> Is there a way for X to easily query the portage history and dig up the
> ebuild that was there at some point.  She could then use the old ebuild
> for their new version, but without efficient search she would probably
> start from scratch.  Some packages are treecleaned in the state 'working
> but with a single bug (and nobody cares)', it would be good if that
> state is somehow retained after the removal.  Then you can get a fully
> working package while fixing only one bug.
>
> Searching through mailing list archives with automatted removal mails
> would be my hack, what would be yours?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

There is already an easy way to query portage's history: CVS.

# Check out working copy if you don't have it
cvs -d :pserver:anonym...@anoncvs.gentoo.org/var/cvsroot co gentoo-x86

# Show all files that ever were under version control
# You definitely want to store the output because it takes some time
cvs -q -d :pserver:anonym...@anoncvs.gentoo.org/var/cvsroot log -NSR > \
 logfile

# Grep for files in Attic, aka removed files
grep /Attic/ logfile

Finding the last revision and restoring it can be done similarly.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp