On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I would not recommend PaX at this time.  As Mike said, it breaks things,
> sometimes important things.  Eg. python ctypes was broken there for a
> while on hardened.  Also, unlike toolchain, it requires that you
> configure your kernel correctly, ie have familiarity with what works and
> what doesn't under certain PaX features.  This may be trivial for us,
> but might be more than we want to put newbies through.

I used it as an example because it is passive for the most part, and I
think most of the configuration could be handled by the ebuilds.

However, I didn't mean to suggest that it was ready to be made a
default.  If the list of broken packages were small enough I think
that it would be fair to consider it as a future default to work
towards.

I was trying to draw a contrast between passive things like
stack-protection and things that really get in your face like MAC.

Rich