Mike Frysinger posted on Fri, 21 Oct 2011 08:13:22 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Thursday 20 October 2011 23:20:35 Duncan wrote:
>> Magnus G suggests possibly adding PIE to amd64, which is already PIC,
>
> this isn't quite right.  amd64 shared objects (i.e. libraries) are PIC.
> the applications are not.

Thanks for the correction.  I knew the library think but supposed that
was the difference between PIC/PIE, the E/executable for executables
only, the more generic C/code for the feature applied to shared objects.

Seems there's a bit more to it than that.  Thanks again, I can look it up
now that I know to do so.

> usually these packages are multimedia related.  like ffmpeg iirc.  so i
> think the impact is much greater than your estimate here.

I figured mm, but also assumed strip-flags-like exceptions (probably
controlled via USE flag) for packages where the default was really
costly.  But now that I think of it, implementing that as arch defaults
while allowing overrides isn't quite the simple matter it is for user-set
CFLAGS, etc, and strip-flags, etc.

I assume it can still be done, but am not in a position to estimate
whether it'd be worth the cost to implement.

>> What about x32, tho?  Does it get PIC by default too
>
> x32 is same as x86_64 wrt PIC

Good to know.  Thanks.