Dear all,

> 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size
> (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog) the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log
> logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a new
> file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and
> will never be retransmitted by rsync.

to prevent that this becomes a victim of general ChangeLog bikeshedding (we
must rotate at a logical point, how could it be automatized even if it is
relevant for only a few files, then how do we prevent epmty files...) I
suggest the following procedure:

In a week's time I personally, manually, will "rotate" all ChangeLog files
larger than 100k in the tree, by splitting them at 31/12/2010-1/1/2011.
The old entries file will in each case be named ChangeLog-2010 in the same
directory. (PMS: "A package directory may contain other files or directories,
whose purpose is not covered by this specification.")

The "old entries" file ChangeLog-2010 will be identical to the current
ChangeLog file except for skipping at the start all entries added later than
31/12/2010.
The new ChangeLog file will be identical to the current ChangeLog file except
for being truncated at 1/1/2011.

I currently count 19 relevant files. If we keep the 100k limit and rotate
yearly, this will be doable by hand in the foreseeable future and any attempt
at automating is a complete waste of time.

Opinions, flames, ...?

Cheers,
Andreas

PS.
774821  profiles/ChangeLog
166798  sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/ChangeLog
145004  sys-devel/gcc/ChangeLog
141505  sys-libs/glibc/ChangeLog
141397  media-video/mplayer/ChangeLog
133790  kde-base/kdelibs/ChangeLog
133257  www-client/firefox/ChangeLog
131385  x11-base/xorg-server/ChangeLog
130355  x11-base/xorg-x11/ChangeLog
124531  www-client/opera/ChangeLog
123722  sys-fs/udev/ChangeLog
115914  www-servers/apache/ChangeLog
112672  dev-db/mysql/ChangeLog
110957  media-video/vlc/ChangeLog
107961  sys-apps/baselayout/ChangeLog
107492  sys-kernel/git-sources/ChangeLog
105182  sys-kernel/hardened-sources/ChangeLog
104646  www-client/chromium/ChangeLog
100383  sys-kernel/vanilla-sources/ChangeLog

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer