On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 07:19:35AM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 12:25 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 05:59:21PM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
> >> Well, it's much easier to gather interest and get feedback if we deploy
> >> the change and ask questions later.
> >
> > What if we tried solving this problem by providing more options instead
> > of trying to guess what the users want? :)
> >
> > Imagine the following output (when jobs == 1):

> > Pressing P would only show the log for the actively built package.
> > Pressing S would show all the logs for this session, starting with the
> > active one.
> >
> > Pressing L would print out a short set of instructions, something
> > like:
> >
> > "To make portage output easier to track and understand, --quiet-build
> > has been enabled by default. You may restore the old, verbose behavior
> > temporarily by using the P and S commands, or permanently by adding
> > '--quiet-build=n' to your make.conf's EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS."
> >
> > I believe many users would appreciate the ability to output logs on
> > demand. :)
>
> I think that would be an interesting option. We could put stdin in raw
> mode, like dispatch-conf does, in order to read single characters of
> input instead of whole lines.
>
> I can imagine that this option wouldn't be desired by some people, if
> only because emerge would consume all keystrokes from the input buffer.
> In the past we had a few portage releases that consumed keystrokes like
> that (it was part of the support for interactive ebuilds), and I recall
> someone (I think it was grobian) complaining because he had a habit of
> typing his next shell command before emerge had completed.

As long as everything is optional, I don't think we'll have any
reasonable complaints.

The stdin raw mode would only be enabled when --quiet-build=y and
--jobs=1. Any other combination would switch to standard mode and we
could also introduce an --allow-options=[y/n] (or similar) parameter for
those who want to completely disable the feature.

I'm confident many users that are currently against quiet-build would
consider it if they were provided with these options :)

Would it be difficult to implement?
--
Alex Alexander | wired
+ Gentoo Linux Developer