On 4 December 2011 06:51, Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:50:00 +0100
> Jeroen Roovers <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Subject says it all. More and more bug attachments appear that have
>> been generated with non-English locales, and it's a nuisance for both
>> bug reporters and bug wranglers to request/provide the sane alternative
>> that every developer should be able to read.
>
> How many times have you needed to request build logs in english since the last
> time you brought this up?  How many times have you had to request emerge
> --info or build logs in general?

Surely this can be automated?

"Error - Bug not filed!
No emerge --info attachment detected. Either tag one of your
attachments as `emerge --info`, or upload one"

> I think adding a note to bugzilla reminding reporters that logs need to be in
> english would be a better solution than forcing it on everyone.

Again, automation should be moderately easy to achieve. Having bugzie
grep for "Error" / "Warning" in the top ten non-English languages
should be enough. On a positive, reject the output with a popup
explaining how to get an English version.

Am I wrong, or is LC_MESSAGES=C a non-UTF-8 locale? Why is this
considered a good idea? Why not en-UTF-8?