On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vap...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2011 18:43:33 Alec Warner wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Leho Kraav <l...@kraav.com> wrote:
>> > i'd be really happy if someone took care of
>> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031 :>
>> >
>> > "include more info about binpkg in file name"
>>
>> That is great, but its not a 6 month project...
>
> is it though ?  i'm inclined to mark INVALID.  hijacking filenames for
> metadata
> is a tuuuuuuuuuuurrible idea.

I agree. It's along the same lines as only using file extensions for
determining the filetype (and we all know how that turned out...). It
*does* have the advantage of being really fast, though.

Nevertheless, the basic bug is about changing the distfile repository
format in such a way that a single repo can contain several distfiles
built with differing build conditions. Putting metadata in the
filename is only one way of ensuring that.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team