On 12/16/11 11:42 AM, justin wrote:
> I really like that you open all those bugs. But it makes no sense to
>  add arches after a "time out". At least not after a such a short
> one.

I'm sorry this has annoyed/upset you. Let me just point out some facts:

- in November I first wrote about this new "more stabilizations" thing,
and included a list of ~800 packages, including many sci- ones
(<http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_a8d47428737e600238e3ad3d60f79208.xml>).
I don't remember any complains from the sci- maintainers then.

- people complain that a week-long timeout is too short, while after I
CC arches the answer often comes within minutes.

- actually in this case you've said "go ahead" for the bugs filed (thank
you!), so I don't fully understand the concerns here

- the bugs get filed when a package's most recent version has spent 6
months in ~arch, has _no_ open bugs, and is not a beta/alpha/rc/whatever
version. Many packages for which I filed bugs spent in ~arch a year or more.

> The maintainer is responsible for the package, that means it is
> their responsibility to decide that a package should go stable.

Packages with stable versions a year behind suggest this is not always
the case. Furthermore, most maintainers are happy about those
stabilizations (or tools), and users also like it.

> In addition they have to make the package fit to the standards that
> the arch teams request.

There are standards and nits. We frequently stabilize a package if only
nits are present.

> So as long as you don't review the packages yourself, consider a
> different proceeding than this timeout.

See the conditions above that packages have to meet to be included in
the stabilization list. I consider that an adequate review, and I know
arch developers and testers who look at the ebuilds.

It's always possible to close the bug if the package is deemed not ready.

> Please remove all added arches from the packages maintained by all
> sci* teams.

I can do that, but are you sure? I noted you've commented "go ahead"
on many of those (thank you!) - how about those bugs?