Ulrich Mueller posted on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:23:59 +0100 as excerpted:

>> I think that this change, similarly to the automatic .la file fixing,
>> could be implemented by portage without waiting for a new EAPI.
>
> Not sure about this one. It's not Portage only, but affects all package
> managers.

If it's a portage thing, please have it be a FEATURE that can be toggled
off.  Symlink trees are ugly, as someone else mentioned, and not everyone
will want them.

Alternatively, as I suggested in a different subthread, make it a
separate package.  Then people can install it if they want/need.  This
package could even include a script that hooks into the existing portage
phase-hook structure, and presumably similar scripts for the other PMs,
thus making the whole thing automatic.