Yeah I know I"m replying to my own message, but I wanted to add a
thought about the symbolic links issue.

I don't think the /{bin,sbin,lib} and /usr/sbin directories should be
deleted.

However, what I would like to see is that the package maintainers would
be responsible for creating any compatibility symlinks their package
needs, not portage. I don't think it is a good idea to have portage or
any package manager controling the migration.

That way, once the package maintainer knows that the symbolic links are
not needed, they can be removed and eventually all of these directories
would be empty and they could eventually be removed if desired.

Thoughts?

William