On 2012.01.03 17:51, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> There's a small discussion going on on gentoo-doc [1] about
> documenting (or
> not documenting) advanced portage features in the Gentoo handbook.
> The
> suggestion currently is to have it as an added chapter in "Working
> with
> Portage" of which you can find a preview on [2] (don't mind the
> numbering).
>
> [1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-doc/
> msg_f3c1439def8cd1df8b0f57fdbb7e6462.xml
> [2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/docs/previews/hb-portage-
> advanced.xml
>
> The discussion however is if it is okay to document these things
> there
> or
> not.
[snip]
> Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> Wkr,
>       Sven Vermeulen

Team,

The Gentoo Handbook is about getting the base system installed.
As such features such as per package CFLAGS have no place there.  They
are not within the scope of installing the base system.

We already have separate guides for Xorg, Gnome, KDE, ALSA, binary blob
video drivers and so on.

I agree these portage features should be documented but probably in a
'bleeding edge' guide.

Our users will tinker and break things just because they can anyway. At
least don't give them the means to make them difficult to help in the
introductory Gentoo text.

--
Regards,

Roy Bamford