On 6 January 2012 06:14, Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 01/06/12 05:26, Olivier Crête wrote:
> [snip]
>> The only thing I see them sacrificing is loose coupling, they provide
>> more functionality than any other init system, more correctness
>> (seriously, did you ever read most init scripts out there?), more well
>> defined behavior (all systemd systems boot exactly the same), more
>> stability (I'll claim that Lennart's C is better than any of the
>> boot-time shell scripts I've seen) and well understandability depends
>> who much you can understand C. Probably a bit less understandable for
>> sysadmins, but since they can just play with config files, it's
>> probably easier to understand in the end (and much less prone to
>> breaking than mucking around shell scripts).
> As you apparently have no idea what a sysadmin does I'd appreciate it if
> people like you didn't try to guess what would make things better and
> instead listened to people that have more than their desktop to run.
> (Hint: It's not pressing reset buttons)
>
> Given the choice between a single line of shell ( cat "$urandom_seed" >
> /dev/urandom ) or 145 lines of undocumented C (which, if naively
> modified by me, might just make systemd segfault) ... there is no choice.

Seems straightforward and well-documented to me:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/tree/src/random-seed.c. And the
"if I naively modify things, they might explode" argument holds for
anything.

These are basic things that you almost certainly would not be
modifying as a sysadmin anyway. I'd hope that the things that you
really do want to muck around with are provided as configuration, and
if they're not, you talk to upstream and make a case for this being
useful to users. Just like with every other open source project.

--
Arun Raghavan
http://arunraghavan.net/