On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 00:52 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> 3) a symlink is installed at /bin/systemd to ensure that current init=
> specifications are still valid.
>
> Please note that these features will be removed after the transitional
> period and users upgrading afterwards will have to manually ensure
> correctness of their installations. The former two features will be
> removed on 2012-03-01, the last one on 2012-05-01.

Positive effects of removing the /bin/systemd symlink on 2021-05-01:
saves one inode in the root fs.

Negative effects of removing the /bin/systemd symlink on 2021-05-01: an
unknown number of users who had forgotten to update their grub.conf will
discover that they can no longer boot their systems.

I would suggest not removing the symlink unless there is a technical
reason why its presence is undesirable.

-Alexandre.