On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:49:44 -0500
Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> >> isnt the whole point of the proposal to get eapi without sourcing ?
> >>
> >> so that we can use new bash features at local or global scope
> >> without risking that people with an old bash get syntax errors
> >> trying to get the eapi
> >
> > Right. Michael has lost sight of the goal and is moving off on a
> > tangent.
>
> The point was to be able to get the EAPI without crashing if the
> ebuild uses newer features.

No, it's not. There's more to it than that.

Some EAPIs really require defining certain environment variables, shell
options, sandbox things etc *before* the sourcing starts. It's a massive
pain in the ass to try to handle setting that kind of thing on the fly
once the sourcing has already started. Knowing the EAPI before having
to spawn a bash process isn't just about performance, it's also about
making ebuilds much less difficult to deal with.

--
Ciaran McCreesh