On 03/14/2012 12:28, Matthew Summers wrote:

> Gentoo provides a solution with genkernel, dracut provides a solution,
> even the linux kernel itself provides a solution (in my view the
> easiest solution at that).

The kernel doesn't appear to create the networking interfaces, though.
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is only going to handle things that physically exist within
/dev, of which, ethernet devices have always been excluded.  If that can get
fixed in some fashion, then devtmpfs pretty much does make this a non-issue.

> I just wanted to drop this simple fact in there. This has been coming
> for several years now AND the linux kernel has been using an initramfs
> for every boot, every time for a long time now, all 2.6 and up as I
> understand it. If the initramfs is empty, well the kernel is smart
> enough to fall back on "legacy" boot process.

initramfs was introduced in 2.6.10, and prior to that, only a handful of
architectures even supported a built-in initrd (MIPS was one, and it wasn't
very pretty or functional).  I believe other distros required the bootloader
to pass the initrd to them somehow, but having never used an initrd in that
fashion, I don't know for certain.

But yes, if you enable CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC, you're essentially turning on
(or utilizing)  an initramfs accessible via /proc.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic