Hello

I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to create a
separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my first Gentoo
systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of fragmentation, much
slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it when I changed my
partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate and a lot of disk
space lost (I remember portage tree reached around 3 GB of disk space
while I am now running with 300MB)

Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be better
for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled, but maybe you
have other different setups.

Thanks for discussing this :)