El mar, 27-03-2012 a las 14:53 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius escribió:

> On 27/03/12 02:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
> > <tetrom...@gentoo.org>
> >> The partitioning scheme is something that the user needs to
> >> decide on *before* getting Gentoo up and running. After the user
> >> had finished installing the operating system, it's too late to
> >> inform him about the advantages of a separate /usr/portage.
> >
> > Yes and no (if you have free space, you could easily move
> > /usr/portage - some other changes are harder).
> >
> > However, you could extend this line of argument to raid, lvm, and
> > even stuff like the use of systemd or an alternative package
> > manager.  All of those things are much easier to implement if you
> > just start out with them.
> >
> > I'm all for creating a wiki to talk about some alternative
> > options. Perhaps even link to it at the start of the handbook in
> > the intro (if you're not in a rush and want to read about more
> > advanced configurations, check out ...).
> >
> > However, I tend to agree that the handbook should be a
> > nearly-foolproof no-frills Gentoo installation.
> >

> You know, we have "Code Listing 2.1: Filesystem Example" in Section 4,
> we could always adjust that to have a /usr/portage partition in it
> (take a bit of space away from /home, or something)
>
> It doesn't recommend/require anything, but when users see it they'll
> think about it.

This would be a good option, but I would anyway add a note warning
people about the cons of having portage tree in a normal partition with
the rest of the system, otherwise people could simply ignore that code
listing because they could thing it's there simply on a try to get all
system "splitted" ;) (for example, I don't usually have a separate
partition for all what is listed there, only /, /home and /usr/portage)