On 03/31/2012 04:49 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh posted on Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:52:53 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:44:03 +0300 Alex Alexander
>> <alex.alexan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> @preserved-libs works very well and is awesome. hack or not. IMO it
>>> should be in stable already. I've been using it on stable production
>>> boxes for years without any issues :)
>>
>> ...and here we see the problem. You think that "I haven't noticed it
>> break" means "it works".
>
> Funny how familiar that argument looks... aka...
>
> A separate /usr is already broken, you just don't know it yet.

For separate /usr, there's a relatively simple solution, which is to
mount /usr with an initramfs. For preserve-libs, there is no such a
simple solution. Much like separate-/usr-without-initramfs,
preserve-libs does not work correctly unless lots of different pieces of
software behave cooperatively.
--
Thanks,
Zac