On 5/14/2012 12:50 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> On 14 May 2012 04:27, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> To make ebuilds utilizing python-distutils-ng.eclass usable
>> "out-of-the-box", the python team would like to add the following to
>> make.defaults in the base profile.
>>
>> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
>>
>> See also bug 415575 [1].
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> I think this is a good addition.
>
>> I would also like to include python3_2, but I do not think this will be
>> possible due to dev-lang/python:3.2 not being stabilized on several
>> arches. Perhaps this could be set in arch-specific profiles? Would that
>> work?
>
> I don't see how python:3.2 is useful for most of our users. And I
> especially don't see how having two python versions installed (but
> only one active) is useful for most of our users. So let's make
> sure only one version gets pulled in, unless specifically
> configured by the user.

So long as any installed package depends on dev-lang/python without
specifying a version, the user will end up with python-3 unless they
mask it. There is no easy way out of that situation at this point; I
think it would basically require renaming >=dev-lang/python-3 to
something else.

If we acknowledge that users have both python:3.2 and python:2.7
installed most of the time, I think it makes sense to set the default
value of PYTHON_TARGETS to match that expectation.