On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:56:15AM +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote

> I don't know at what state udev was 3 or 4 years ago, but mdev can:
>
> 1. Populate /dev (now unnecessary due to devtmpfs).
> 2. Handle ownership, permissions and symlinks to /dev nodes once they
> appear, according to simple rules (can be probably done with inotify).
> 3. Act as /sbin/hotplug, typically doing something equivalent to this
> one-liner:
>    [ "${ACTION}" = add  -a  -n "${MODALIAS}" ] && modprobe -qb "${MODALIAS}"

  That's *EXACTLY* what I want and need.  To borrow an old emacs joke,
udev is a mediocre OS that lacks a lightweight device manager.

> I don't think mdev can do anything else. Building any serious
> framework on top of mdev seems pointless to me, since it will probably
> end up as a small subset of udev core reimplemented with scripts.

  I *DON'T WANT* "a serious framework", I want a lightweight device
manager... period... end of story.  Stick with the unix principle of one
app doing one thing well.  mdev is enough for the vast majority of people.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>