On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 01:32:45PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Alexey Shvetsov <ale...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > That isnt true =) you can commit from shallow clone  if and only if original
> > repo doesnt have a branching and merging points before and after shallow
> > clone point respectively
> Is that going to be a practical condition to maintain?
We're going to have lots of branches and merges.

> And how big will the repository actually be?  Are we talking a GB or
> two, or something orders of magnitude larger?
In terms of repo size, we were going to be slicing the history into two
parts:
- fresh start
- historical

The 'fresh start' is what new commits will go on top of, and ranges
40-120MB depending on what git window compression is used.
The historical is ~1.2GB, and if you want a continuous history, you just
use graft to merge the two.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robb...@gentoo.org