Dan Douglas posted on Thu, 24 May 2012 01:04:48 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Thursday, May 24, 2012 07:56:58 AM Michał Górny wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:14:53 -0500
>>
>> Dan Douglas <orm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If not I will be leaving Gentoo for Funtoo in the near future, though
>> > there are disadvantages to doing this I don't look forward to dealing
>> > with.
>>
>> Most of us will probably be doing that :P.
>
> Eh sorry that wasn't meant to be antagonistic. I'll still have Gentoo
> boxen to deal with. I just need to be able to use git on the tree (even
> without the full history is perfectly fine) to ease the difficulty of
> local overlay management. Glad to hear that will be possible, or at
> least somewhat easier.

FWIW, I as a user would sure like a git-based tree.  Doing git whatchanged
searches on individual files and being able to track my last checkout and
roll back to it, or to a point between it and current HEAD, are extremely
useful.  I haven't thought of it much until now, but I think maintaining
overlays as simple branches would be great, as well.