On 1 June 2012 07:58, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> What would git signing work with rebased commits? Would all of them
>> have to be signed once again?
>>

> The whole point of rebasing is to throw away history (which is either
> good or bad based on your perspective).
>
> So, if 14 devs spend 3 years and 2000 commits working on something in
> a branch, and I commit it to master using a rebase, then all you'll
> see in the master history is that rich0 committed 20k lines of code to
> master on May 31st, and that would be signed by me.
>
> I think that rebasing before merging is a pretty typical workflow
> anyway - when you submit a patch to Linus, he doesn't really care that
> you spent six months tweaking it - he just is getting a big blob of
> code that either works or doesn't.  Does all that sub-history really
> matter?  You could always push the branch to the repository if you
> wanted to keep it on the side.
>
> Rich

I think you're conflating "rebasing" and "squashing commits".

You should rebase a long commit sequence and squash pointless fixup
commits, and to make the commit sequence logical and ordered, possibly
divided by logical changes that one may wish to later revert. ( That
way, backing out a problem is simply reversing that commit and
applying the reversal patch )

You should not rebase for the purpose of squashing an entire history
of changes into a single scattered commit.

Rebasing is more to make the history itself linear and non-complex,
as when walking backwards through history, there being 2 parallel
histories that generated a merged commit can be confusing for humans,
so eliminating the parallel histories is one of the primary purposes I
advocate use of rebase for.

Squashed commits are a handy feature of rebase, but I wouldn't want to
see an entire overlay squashed into the main tree as a single squashed
commit.

Another bad reason for squashed commits: if you're getting rid of the
Changes files, you'll have no history on anything if you just group
long histories into a single commit. None.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"