On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 21:26:00 +0200
hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> But minetest in sunrise for example which has two different repos, one
> for the engine, one for the data. It's currently split in two, but I
> guess I will merge those soon.

Why? Is there a good reason to merge two repos into one ebuild? Does
upstream guarantee that the releases will always be synced? Does it
benefit users?

> Lately there was an ebuild proposal in sunrise too which had that
> issue, see here https://gist.github.com/2829184

That's a more likely case. But still such a change would involve
changing an established API heavily which I really dislike.

> It would also enable me to use gtk-youtube-viewer and youtube-viewer
> in one ebuild with vcs-snapshot eclass while adding a gtk useflag
> (currently split too).
> Otherwise I will have to fix it on my own again.

Once again: does it benefit user? Or just does it imply that starting
or stopping to use gtk part requires user to rebuild the whole thing?

> I find the logic very clear:
>
> SRC="https://my/github/shit -> ${P}.tar.gz"
> results in ${WORKDIR}/${P}
> and
> SRC="https://my/github/shit -> ${P}-src.tar.gz"
> results in ${WORKDIR}/${P}-src

I really don't mind the logic. I'm just aware that it is a little late
to introduce such a destructive change, especially that you yourself
mentioned that it will break existing ebuilds.

I will be happy to implement it if you can get more approval for that
change. Or else we should consider jumping with the eclass to -r1 while
it isn't widespread too much.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny