Arun Raghavan posted on Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:15:28 +0530 as excerpted:

> I guess we're in an especially bad position since everybody builds their
> own bootloader. Is there /any/ viable solution that allows people to
> continue doing this short of distributing a first-stage bootloader blob?

As I said in my first reply, for x86/amd64 at least, MS is mandating a
user-unlock option.  That would leave the bootloader fully unsigned, but
it would let users keep building their own.

But for arm, last I read MS is mandating no-user-unlock. There, a signed
blob first-stage bootloader is likely to be mandatory, tho in reality
that platform has always lacked the user-end base standard support and
flexibility of x86, so it's not like they're losing it.  But if the
entire market moves toward arm as some are predicting...