On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, grub:0 only half-way updates itself; there is a
>> large ewarn telling the user that they must take action to install the
>> new version in the MBR. This seems a bit broken to me.
>
> In what way.  As far as I can tell I haven't gotten a grub upgrade in
> the last 5-7 years.  Since it is built static on amd64 (or at least it
> was when I last installed it) nothing ever breaks.  Maybe if I changed
> my boot partition to a different filesystem it might have issues, but
> grub just strikes me as one of those aint-broke-don't-fix things.

Right. I was contradicting vapier's statement that grub:0
automatically updates itself. It doesn't.

It does copy all of the images to /boot so that the grub shell can be
used to install an MBR image. grub:2 no longer has an interactive
shell and grub2-install must be used. Therefore, copying files to
/boot in the ebuild is completely pointless.