On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:57:09 +0200
Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Thanks, this explains why these DESCRIPTIONs are there.
>
> But history left aside, are they still useful today? If not, then they
> should be removed.

DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass" is never a sufficient
description for a package. So clearly pointless here.

Currently only KEYWORDS are banned from eclasses. I would add
DESCRIPTION and LICENSE to this list as well. DESCRIPTION is individual
to the package and it should never be to much work to come up with a
short description and LICENSE in eclasses greatly increases the chances
for the final listed licenses to be wrong. We have seen the latter
happening with the enlightenment.eclass.