On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:51:08 +0200
> Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Such a goals may be good for distributions like Exherbo which aim to
>> make everything perfect. I believe that Gentoo aims more around 'good
>> enough but at least realistic', instead of running for some kind of
>> utopia which simply does not work.
>
> I don't understand your stance here, because to me 'good enough but
> realistic' means ignoring standards when they're stupid, embracing them when
> they're not, and forging your own where they don't yet exist.  Perfection, by
> definition, requires an existing standard to hold yourself up against.

In any case, I wasn't suggesting that a typical user would run without
POSIX.  I just think that we'd be better off if our dependencies were
fully specified which will aid those doing unusual things with Gentoo.

Keep in mind that unusual unix-like implementations are all around us.
 I doubt a Tivo even has a shell installed, and a typical Android
phone has a very non-traditional set of tools available.

I think the default Gentoo install should be pretty similar to what it
is today.  However, more flexibility to deviate isn't a bad thing.

That said, having fully specified dependencies without giving
headaches to maintainers is also a good goal.  I think that absent
better tools @system is always going to have to be a compromise.

Rich