On 09/07/2012 09:10 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:46:41 -0300
> Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> For example, what is the HDEPEND equivalent for DEPENDENCIES ? exherbo
>> documentation doesn't seem to mention an equivalent label.
>
> DEPENDENCIES is essentially independent of what label names we
> introduce. I get the impression Gentoo will be bikeshedding, er, I mean
> selecting shorter names for some of the labels than what Exherbo is
> using. So HDEPEND could be 'host' if you like.
>
> In any case, the reason you don't see a 'host' label on Exherbo is
> because it's called 'build'. Exherbo's taken a more comprehensive
> approach to handling ROOT-related dependencies -- dependency resolution
> for ROOT!=/ still uses / for satisfying not-purely-runtimeish
> dependencies, and then has a way of locking versions on / to versions
> in ROOT. It does rely upon having a fully-ROOT-and-/-aware resolver,
> though, so it may not be suitable for Gentoo.

If you're insinuating that Portage may not have a
"fully-ROOT-and-/-aware resolver", then I can assure you that this is
not a problem. The only reason that Portage currently doesn't have "a
way of locking versions on / to versions in ROOT" is that none of the
existing EAPIs have a way to express this kind of dependency constraint.
--
Thanks,
Zacd