On 09/12/2012 02:16 AM, Gregory M. Turner wrote:
> In all seriousness, if both of them are sourced, then could one get away
> with something like this?
>
> /etc/make.conf:
> source /etc/portage/make.conf
>
> /etc/portage/make.conf:
> if [[ __GENTOO_MAKE_CONF_ONCE == gotit ]] ; then
> __GENTOO_MAKE_CONF_ONCE=gotit
> .
> .
> .
> endif
>
> or are conditionals disallowed?

Yes, conditionals are not allowed. The parser only supports variable
assingments and source commands.

> As Zac mentions, hopefully it's
> harmless to duplicate things, but, personally, I would worry about the
> effect of duplicates on performance, and also in PORTDIR_OVERLAY.  Plus,
> it just seems dirty.

I would recommend to use /etc/make.conf alone, until whatever tools you
use have been updated to support /etc/portage/make.conf. There's no need
for any of these compatibility workarounds that you and Duncan have been
suggesting.
--
Thanks,
Zac