On 05/10/2012 07:28, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:

> I had a crazy idea to just build v8 and v8-dependent packages using
> non-x32 ABI, but I'm not sure if it's possible and if it would be the
> right thing to do.

Nothing stops you from doing that. But if you want them to load from a
non x32-ABI application, no way. As I said on my blog before, the big
problem is that x32 is neither x86-64 nor x86 binary compatible (if they
bumped x86 ABI that would have helped) so there is no way to cross-load
or cross-call any more than you can load a 32-bit library on a 64-bit
application or vice versa.

Of course you could build Chrome for amd64 as well. And Qt5 while you're
at it. And KDE. And since you'll also have Skype (32-bit) you'll be
wondering where the memory saving boasted by the ricers (on forums and
so on) is, given that you're loading three libcs, three libssl, two Qt
(as right now) and I don't know many more duplicates...

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flamee...@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/