So I have been doing some bash scripting out of some comment in a
conversation to count (and rank) the packages by the number of ebuilds
they have (and thus of versions of said package). The results can be
seen at http://dev.gentoo.org/~klondike/ebuildrank.txt and if there is
interest I can try to automate the generation of the ranking daily
(though I'd like infra's comments on that).

As some extra candy I have calculated which is the percentage of
packages holding the same number of packages, it is impressive seeing
how more than 50% of the ebuilds have only 1 and more than 75% have two
or less! If I recall my stats classes the number of versions in a
package seems to follow some kind of poison distribution.
175 .00635687496026953100
68 .00635687496026953100
31 .00635687496026953100
28 .00635687496026953100
25 .00635687496026953100
23 .01271374992053906200
22 .01271374992053906200
21 .01271374992053906200
20 .01271374992053906200
19 .01271374992053906200
16 .05721187464242578300
15 .04449812472188672000
14 .04449812472188672000
13 .07628249952323437700
12 .08263937448350390900
11 .12078062424512109800
10 .15892187400673828700
9 .22884749856970313300
8 .31784374801347657400
7 .76282499523234377900
6 2.20583561121352742900
5 2.47282435954484775200
4 4.54516559659271502100
3 11.39151992880300044400
2 25.75170046405187209900
1 51.64325217722967389200

Hope you enjoy the numbers as much as I enjoyed calculating them!
klondike