On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 05:07:53 -0500
Mike Frysinger <vap...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Michał Górny wrote:

> >> ... which portage will happily "upgrade" next time you `emerge -u world`
> >
> > Hmm, like 'move sys-fs/udev sys-apps/systemd'?
>
> i think the difference here is that we all agree that everyone wants
> to upgrade from xchat to hexchat

Maybe. On the other hand, the udev->systemd switch was performed
upstream which makes it a valid candidate for package move.

xchat & hexchat are different packages. It's a bit like pretending that
the discontinuation and fork didn't ever happen, and the packages are
equivalent (which they are not, as have been already pointed out).

IMO considering the fact that user needs to migrate his configuration
by hand, making the switch automagic is not helpful at all. It's rather
confusing when 'xchat' instantly becomes 'hexchat' which it is actually
not before the rebuild. And after the rebuild user suffers the usual
upgrade pain of packages changing heavily between versions.

So, please do not hack the updates mechanism around to achieve minor
goals. It should be used to move packages which suffered a rename
or merge, not to provide replacements and suggestions. For those,
package.mask messages are much better.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny