Currently we put portage into /usr/portage and all related stuff is to
be in the subfolders there (distfiles, binpkg).

I've always myself override these defaults in make.conf to point for
/var/portage/ (not /var/lib because I never bothered enough how to
make world and config files to be put elsewhere :P).

The only reason why we have this currently in usr is that bsd ports
put their stuff in there and I suppose Daniel just did the same.

With respect to reality how stuff is done in the linux land all the
variable data should be in /var so we should adjust and move it in
there too.

What would  you think?

Cheers

Tom