On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 00:27:26 +0100
"J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 09:13:28 AM Greg KH wrote:

> > > It is only "broken", because upstream decided to move everything into /usr
> > > that was previously in /.
> >
> > No, not at all, please see the web page that describes, in detail, the
> > problems that has been going on for quite some time now, with the /usr
> > and / partitions and packages.
> >     http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
> >
> > One good solution to this issue is to move everything into /usr, and
> > that's something that has wonderful benifits in the long run, and is
> > something that I expect all Linux distros to eventually implement.
> > Those that don't, will suffer because of it.
> >
> > Again, see the web page for why moving stuff into /usr is a good idea
> > for the reasons behind this.
> >     http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
>
> Example: /usr Network Share
> When /usr is on a network share, why not add a / on network as well?
> I have multiple systems and as they all have different uses, they all have
> different software installed.
>
> Example: Multiple Guest Operating Systems on the Same Host
> See answer to previous example.
>
> How many environments actually currently exist where a shared /usr is being
> used?

Are you aware that these environments are actually one of the most
important reasons for moving everything to /usr? I don't know what
hackery you're using to keep the systems in sync and working but it is
braindead enough.

The difference between keeping part of the system in rootfs
and initramfs is that you can discard initramfs after using it. It can
be anything which is enough to get the /usr mounted and system
starting. Files on rootfs *have* to be in sync with those on /usr
or you're getting random failures.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny