On 20/12/12 11:25 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
> On 12/20/2012 11:16 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Ian Stakenvicius
>> <a...@gentoo.org> wrote: On 20/12/12 10:37 AM, Brian Dolbec

>> You could do this while not having the portage tree be in that
>> directory.  IE, portage goes in /var/cache/portage , and all the
>> overlays go into /var/cache/repositories.
>
>> The tree is separate enough IMO that autoscan can still happen
>> easily, and also I believe that it can be assumed that the tree
>> is in place. For instance, if the tree's location is defined to
>> be elsewhere, it isn't done so via PORTDIR_OVERLAYS but rather
>> PORTDIR.
>

>> On an unrelated note, I would never treat my "local" overlays as
>> cache.  Ebuilds that (as a user) I wrote and installed by hand
>> are not likely to be kept in a repository someplace, but rather
>> the overlay dir would most likely be it's only location.  IIRC
>> the reason for /usr/portage/local/ was to have a path within the
>> portage tree that rsync wouldn't kill; given that what you're
>> suggesting is already not under the proposed portage tree
>> location, emerge --sync couldn't touch it, and so I don't see a
>> need at all to provide a 'local' repository destination by
>> default.
>

>> It's sounding like the nearly the optimal solution would be:
>
>> /var/cache/portage/distfiles
>> /var/cache/portage/repositories/gentoo
>> /var/cache/portage/repositories/{sunrise,kde,gnome,whatever,layman,grabs}

/var/db/portage/repositories/{non-cache,repo,names,go,here}

> Not to oversimplify but why exactly can't we leave
> /usr/local/portage where it is? I'm not going to want to cd
> /var/db/portage/repositories/local every time I want to edit a
> local ebuild...
>
> -ZC

IMO local user overlays would always end up being defined and placed
wherever the user decides them to be -- ie, /usr/local/portage as Rick
so nicely pointed out.

It may be a nice idea to try and enforce a structure to it/them, but
since PORTDIR_OVERLAY can be defined to include any path at all I
don't really see a point to it.

..I'm still with ulm about the tree not being in the repositories
subdir though.  If I wanted to nuke all the overlays installed, "rm
- -Rf /var/cache/portage/repos/*" is very easy.  If the tree is also in
that dir then it becomes less easy:  "find /var/cache/portage/repos
- -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name gentoo -exec rm -Rf {} \+"