On 09-01-2013 10:14:21 +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> On 09/01/2013 10:09, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > Yeah, but I'd really appreciate it if they could stay for as long as
> > we're on CVS, so my scripts that use the version number to retrieve
> > diffs and apply them to the Prefix' tree versions keep on working.
>
> Since we're discussing adding this on Portage side — why not having it
> generate a per-package serial number instead? That could probably make
> more sense for everything...

Yes, except that there would be no way to ask the VCS to retrieve the
version for a given serial number, other than doing some guessing and
checking the guess was right.  The VCS no longer is in control of the
number, so there is no guarantee numbers go up/down or with step 1.

I guess, when implementing a serial number for a package we best do
that server-side, when we generate the rsync image.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level