On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:40:56PM -0500, James Cloos wrote:
> > This question only matters if you expect there to be non-desktops where
> > there are packages installed that IUSE dri.
>
> I'd note that there is no correlation between the use of the "desktop"
> profiles and the use of an X11 or wayland server on any given box.
>
> The (gui) world is much more than gnome+kde.
>
> -JimC

That's why there's a base desktop profile and desktop/{gnome,kde}
profiles.

Moving `dri' to the base desktop profile is sensible in that we
recommend any user who will be running a GUI use the desktop
profile. Those who aim for a minimalist profile will enable the flag
themselves.

--
Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
Gentoo Linux Developer