Hans de Graaff posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:46:59 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 2013-01-20 at 18:03 +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
>
>> We can either set it in the base profile, then there is no need for
>> IUSE="+dri". Or we can set it in every single ebuild that has the dri
>> flag. I prefer the former because it reduces our maintenance burden.
>
> [I]t sounds like you want [...] use IUSE="+dri". This would also help
> all the people starting out with "-*".

??  How would setting the default using IUSE="+dri" in the ebuilds help
those starting out with -*?  -* does just that, hard-setting all USE
flags as disabled, unless they're specifically enabled later in the USE
flag configuration.  Thus, it's the same effect on default-enabled-flags,
regardless of whether they're default-enabled in the profile or in the
ebuilds.

[TLDR folks can stop at that.]

FWIW, based on this discussion I wondered just how much effect USE-
defaults, both the profile and ebuild sort, were having here.  Thus, I
set -* myself, and have been working thru the changes one at a time.
I've a couple packages yet to deal with ATM, but after I resolved enough
of the required-use issues for emerge --pretend --newuse @world to even
spit out a remerge list, I started with 40-some packages with --newuse
changes.  More or less what I expected...

Most of the changes I've been able to resolve by either adding the flags
to the use file sourced by my make.conf, or by deciding I didn't need the
flag enabled anyway, and remerging the package without it.  I've only
added a few flags to package.use, as most of them were used by only the
affected packages anyway, at least based on the packages I have installed.

FWIW2, I'm /thinking/ about setting up my own profile entirely... or
setting it up to cascade only from my custom-selected components, at
least, keeping the profile-base for the global package-mask, and perhaps
the amd64-no-multilib stuff.  I already have zero packages in @system as
I've negated all the entries that would otherwise be there, and I'm in
the process of zeroing out my dependence on profile default-use...  When
I'm done with that, I'll take a look at the rest and see...