On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Wulf C. Krueger <w...@mailstation.de> wrote:

> In the "dead upstream" case it's unlikely anyone is checking the
> package for security issues in the first place. So neither the Gentoo
> security people will get notice via the usual sources nor will any
> upstream be informed.

That seems rather speculative.  I'm sure that people look for
vulnerabilities in unmaintained software - if they didn't then nobody
would be able to exploit them in the first place (you have to find a
vulnerability to exploit it).  I imagine most vulnerabilities are
found by people outside of projects in the first place.

We don't know how many vulnerabilities there are in maintained
packages, let alone unmaintained ones, so a comparison is a bit
difficult.

Popularity is probably a better indicator of whether something will
have vulnerabilities reported than whether it has an upstream.  The
two are of course loosely connected.

Rich