Dne Ne 10. února 2013 13:51:16, Alexander Berntsen napsal(a):

> On 10/02/13 12:47, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> > So instead of moving things from random overlays to the tree we
> > remove packages now, remove features from other packages because of
> >
> >  that (openfoam) and then ... tell users to use an overlay?
> >
> > Somehow this appears not well thought out to me.
>
> +1
>
> On 10/02/13 13:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with having an overlay that provides a
> > better experience than the main tree.  Most distros actually
> > operate this way
>
> Most distros aren't very good.
>
> > - just look up your average non-core piece of FOSS software and the
> >
> >  first thing their Ubuntu install instructions will tell you to do
> >
> > is to add some repository to your list.
>
> And the second search result is the Ubuntu troubleshooting broken
> installs as a result of adding other repositories.
>
> I accept that there may exist reasons for using overlays. "Ubuntu do
> it!" is not one.

Don't worry,
no matter what are Richs opinions he is not the one crating global policies
for this, so the defaults still are that we encourage adding all stuff to main
tree where possible. Even the overlays are supposed to be just plaingrounds
where we train upcoming devs, or pose as live ebuild/huge experimantal changes
storage space.

Even the excuse that it is not maintained so it is to stay in overlay is
false, because when somebody mess with the package in overlay they can became
maintainers in the main tree too without much fuzz.

But I suppose this problem is created simply because people not wanting to
work with cvs (and I purely agree that git workflow is much easier wrt
this)...

Cheers

Tom